
I can't believe it's already been a week since my big achievement but this has really been the first time I have had to sit down and blog about it. Last Thursday, I finally successfully started an IV!! Woohoo!!
One of my nurse's other patients needed to have her IV restarted. I went in to take a look at her veins. Immediately I thought that it would be impossible. She was an elderly lady with very saggy skin, several bruises from previous blood draws, as well as "poke" marks from unsuccessful tries. I decided on a vein that I thought might stand a chance. My nurse, Nancy, was with me as my instructor was busy with another student. I started the steps and each step went perfectly...before I knew it, she had a running IV in her arm! It took all of me not to jump up and down and scream "Hooray" in front of the patient! Instead, I totally faked it and acted cool and calm...until I got in the hallway and had a huge smile on my face. My nurse said I did great and my instructor was waiting for me. She said she came up to check on me, walked by the room, and decided not to distract me. Thank you so much because I was in the zone! I certainly felt like a nurse that day! :)
In non-nursing news, I have a big weekend coming up- my best friend Gina gets married on Saturday. Yeah for her and Rob! Also, my beloved Red Raiders face the not so beloved texas longhorns. ut is #1 and TTU is #6 in the country...they are both undefeated...should be a great game Saturday night at 7pm on ABC (national coverage!). Too bad I will be at Gina's reception!!! I'll have my Guns Up anyway!!
As you can imagine, I won't be doing much studying this weekend! Happy Halloween!
2 comments:
Well done Mary!!!!! Bet you are delighted and all future IV's will go easily now that you have the perfect one under your belt!!
Enjoy the wedding.
Love from All the Caugheys
Woo-hoo! Overachiever - not only did you start an IV but your first one had to be on an "impossible" looking arm . . .nice!
Oh - and I probably WOULD have jumped up and down. What good bedside manner you have :-)
Post a Comment