Thursday, October 9, 2008

I love Flu Season!


Not really! Just Kidding! But what I do love is the opportunity to give lots of flu shots! The hospital where I have clinicals at hosted a free employee flu shot clinic today and my instructor set it up so that each of us could go and give some. I swear I did 10 of them in about 5 minutes! The reason I am so excited is that I had not had the opportunity to give an intramuscular (IM) injection yet...(injections such as insulin are subcutaneous which means they only go under the skin, intramuscular goes into the muscle!). Let's just say I got plenty of opportunities today! I do love my instructor for this very reason- she's so good at seeking out various skills for us to practice. It's obvious that she wants us all to be good nurses someday!

Today was also a good day as I had the opportunity to really teach my patient a lot of information about his new diagnosis of Diabetes. A Diabetes Educator was supposed to come and teach him everything but she did a less than desirable job (giving him a video and saying "watch this" and handing him pamphlets and saying "read this" isn't very effective teaching!). He has a very limited knowledge base and had trouble reading the pamphlets. I sat down with him and tried to make it clear and simple and emphasize the most important parts like diet changes, blood sugar monitoring, and foot care. Little did I know that my instructor had walked by and overheard me talking to him ... she gave me kudos for my patient teaching!I felt like I actually made a bit of a difference.

Needless to say, this week was much better than last week! Thanks for your encouraging comments. :)

In my Theory class, I am anxiously preparing for my cardiac exam next Monday. If you are a praying person, please say a little prayer for me as I believe this will be the hardest exam so far in nursing school.

Now I guess I should stop procrastinating and get to studying!

Have a fabulous Columbus Day weekend! Oh, and when you get your flu shot, be nice to your nurse! :)

2 comments:

Leilanni said...

Glad it was a better week! I think just one of the reasons you are/will be a great nurse is that you genuinely care about people :-) And it does make a difference . . .when we had to go the ER when we first moved here one of the nurses gave me a great big hug - she had no idea that we had no family or friends here yet and I will never, ever forget how much I needed that hug!! So keep on being your great Nurse Mary self! :-)

And of course I will be praying!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that this week is better....and busy. I so understand your reaction to helping the newly diagnosed diabetic as my Mum was a diabetic and I can remember her panic when she was first diagnosed and had to start injecting herself.....and she was used to it as her two sisters were diabetics too. Well done you for seeing the need and responding. Will remember you in prayers between now and Monday. Glad all going well. Travellers due home tomorrow!
Margaret