Why did Leo make the blog? Read on...
Day 1 of OB Clinicals was awesome!! I was on the Labor and Delivery Unit and assigned a patient and her nurse, both of which were wonderful. Within the first half hour of meeting my patient, I got the opportunity to insert a Foley catheter (all laboring patients who have epidurals get them). A new skill to cross off my list! Of course, we learned how to do those in the first semester but that was my first opportunity on a real person. Let me just tell you, those mannequins are not life-like! :) My instructor said I did a good job but it's definitely a skill that meets the criteria for "practice makes perfect."
My patient was only dilated to a 3 so I knew I had some time to go observe the scheduled C-section down the hall. I walk into the OR thinking that I will just stand against the wall and observe and before I know it, one of the nurses hands me a Foley catheter kit and says "Wanna put it in?". Uhhhh, yeah, I guess...Of course she's asking me in a totally supportive, learning-opportunity kind of way so I gladly oblidged. The OB doctor performing the procedure even gave me a few kind pointers as I proceded. (I couldn't get over how nice and helpful the staff was being!) Everything went well and the C-section was amazing to watch, and it happened so quickly! Oh, and just after the baby was born, that same nurse handed me a vial of Vit K for the newborn's fist IM injection and Erythromycin eye drops, saying "Wanna give these?" (In case you were wondering, all newborns get Vitamin K because they are born without clotting factors and Vit K prevents them from bleeding out. Erythromycin is a prophylactic antibiotic for eye infections from the birthing process.)
Once that exciting event was over, I headed back to check on my patient. Over the next few hours, I got to be a part of her baby's birth as well as another patient's.(and give more vit K and erythromycin) All I've got to say is EPIDURAL!!!! It's a wonderful thing, people! In all seriousness, the experiences were amazing and I felt priveleged that they allowed me to be a part of their very special moment. The gift of life is a true blessing from God!
Speaking of birthdays, my little furbaby, Leo, is turning 2 today! (April 6) He'll get an extra special treat today for sure. I'd say that I might spoil him and love on him a little extra but I'm not sure it's possible to do any more than I already do on a daily basis. He may be growing up chronologically but he's still a puppy at heart.
Check back soon as I have a story to share from my shift at work last Friday. Have a great week!
2 comments:
Yeah for L&D!!! The miracle of birth is truely one of the most beautiful things and it is so amazing to get to share in that with your patients!!!
What an amazing experience to witness birth!! I know you were such a blessing to all your patients!
Post a Comment