Okay, I'm back! I know I promised to blog more often but this school stuff is keeping me super busy! This semester is definitely more time-consuming than last semester. It's been good so far...we are a bit more independent in clinicals and they are actually starting to treat us like nurses! We are able to give all meds to our patients- oral, injections, even IV bags! The IV stuff is new so we have been spending a lot of time practicing in the skills lab on our own time. I enjoy learning about it, especially since IVs are such a big part of nursing care.
We have also been given the go-ahead to start IVs on a patient if the opportunity presents itself. Well, when I first heard that, I freaked out. I was so not ready to stick a needle in somebody's vein! My carpool buddy, Alisha, and I have been practicing the procedure together but obviously not sticking each other. My friend, Josh, from our sunday school class volunteered his veins as he is a firefighter/paramedic and went through this himself during his training. He and his fiancee, April, came over after church today and I did it!!!! I have proof too, look at the pictures!! The first stick was a little tough. I tried a vein in his hand and the vein kind of moved on me and it took a while to get it but the second stick was nice and smooth. It was a rush! He's going to let me practice again next weekend but then I think I will be ready to try it on an actual patient (probably won't have pictures when that happens though). :)
That was definitely the highlight of my weekend. Last week was good too. I made an 88our first lecture test which was a good start to a hard semester of tests. I might need those points later on!
Enjoy the pics! Thanks to Josh for letting me borrow his veins...and I'm also proud of my husband for not passing out when getting in close enough to take the pictures! :)
4 comments:
No, Mom is not available either. Josh was a really good sport to volunteer and a good critic for the stick.
Guess you did not watch the Yankees or Cowboys today though.
Well done Mary......You could practise on my veins anytime were I not so far away!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy.....good to see you back "in print."
Congratulations Mary on your 1st IV - you look very professional! I would let you practice on me too if I was there....honest!!! :-) Keep up the good work on poor unsuspecting friends and good luck with the 1st one on a real patient.
Elaine xx
Wow - what a friend!
And I love that the highlight of your weekend was sticking someone's vein - ha! That's my Nurse Mary!!! :-)
Post a Comment