Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow and Trauma makes for FUN times in an ER!




I am finally getting around to downloading pictures off our camera. I had forgotten about this one. We had a party at our house a couple of weeks ago to celebrate all things nursing (graduation, passing NCLEX, starting my job) and my sweet hubby got this great Italian cream cake. It was a great night with friends and some family.

Still enjoying the job. Learning a ton!! I survived my first 2 days in Trauma. It's crazy there. Busy, busy, busy, and the patients are much more complicated. It will definitely take me the longest to get comfortable over there. So far I have helped with a Level 1 stroke, a very severe rectal bleeder (sorry but you ARE reading a nurse's blog!), and after a record-breaking 12 inches of snow here in DFW on Thursday while I was working, I've had my share of motor vehicle accidents too! The most severe one was a femur fracture (the big long bone in your thigh)...ouch!!! Before leaving after my first full day, although I wasn't a part of it, I did get to kind of observe everybody in action during a full cardiac arrest. They'd get a rhythm on him, start doing some other stuff and then lose him again, start compressions and cardiac meds, get a rhythm, and then lose him again. It is a busy scene full of lots of people doing different things but it's certainly not as crazy as what TV/movies make you believe! God only know what's waiting for me when I go back on Monday?!?!

On a side note...my dog, Leo, usually doesnt care for the rain/cold weather/snow but he must have realized that a foot of snow here in Texas is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing so he really seemed to love it this time!! I was off work today so we played fetch in the backyard. He had to leap across the snow to run...so cute!!

1 comment:

Margaret Caughey said...

Great to hear that you are still enjoying going to work...despite the trauma...AND the snow!!! Sounds like you are learning a lot....an d enjoying every second of it!!! Great snow pics too!!!
Love to all
Margaret