As I have learned so much this semester (particularly in OB), I have little actual real-life experience when it comes to pregnancy, labor, or complications. (obviously! haha) Our dear friend, Susan, recently was admitted to the hospital and put on indefinite bed rest until her sweet baby girl is born. She has placenta previa which is where the placenta is covering the cervical opening therefore making a regular vaginal delivery impossible and causing bleeding complications while pregnant. She was 28 weeks along when she experienced a significant bleed and rushed to the hospital to make sure everything was okay. Mom and baby girl are doing great (now 30 weeks) but are cooped up in a hospital bed until birth. Now everyone is just keeping their fingers crossed that baby stays in the oven and keeps cooking a while longer! Although, I hate to have this personal experience at Susan's expense, it has been a great educational tool for me. To actually see what I have learned in school actually happening in real life (and i could actually interpret the fetal heart monitor!) :) It's also been fun to teach Susan some stuff that will help her get ready for baby's arrival. Susan and her husband, Craig, are the couple that started our Young Marrieds sunday school class. Last Saturday, about 8 of us from the class caravaned over to Dallas to visit her and Craig (that's what the picture is of). Please keep them in your prayers!
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Antepartum in Real Life
As I have learned so much this semester (particularly in OB), I have little actual real-life experience when it comes to pregnancy, labor, or complications. (obviously! haha) Our dear friend, Susan, recently was admitted to the hospital and put on indefinite bed rest until her sweet baby girl is born. She has placenta previa which is where the placenta is covering the cervical opening therefore making a regular vaginal delivery impossible and causing bleeding complications while pregnant. She was 28 weeks along when she experienced a significant bleed and rushed to the hospital to make sure everything was okay. Mom and baby girl are doing great (now 30 weeks) but are cooped up in a hospital bed until birth. Now everyone is just keeping their fingers crossed that baby stays in the oven and keeps cooking a while longer! Although, I hate to have this personal experience at Susan's expense, it has been a great educational tool for me. To actually see what I have learned in school actually happening in real life (and i could actually interpret the fetal heart monitor!) :) It's also been fun to teach Susan some stuff that will help her get ready for baby's arrival. Susan and her husband, Craig, are the couple that started our Young Marrieds sunday school class. Last Saturday, about 8 of us from the class caravaned over to Dallas to visit her and Craig (that's what the picture is of). Please keep them in your prayers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment