Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pictures!



Ta-Da! Here I am! Proof that they really are letting me study to be a nurse! Pardon the 6 year old hair-do I've got going on...my instructor requires us to wear our hair back and out of our face so this is what I get to look like! We also can't wear jewelry, other than a watch, so I have to leave my wedding rings at home. I can handle that but what I can't handle is the 14 mini heart attacks I have throughout the day when I think I've left them somewhere!

Both clinical days went great. I followed a nurse around on Monday and on Wednesday I got to partner up with one of my classmates to work on a patient. We got to do vital signs and a physical assessment! We also got to help give a patient in a wheelchair a bath and change her sheets. One day when I am an RN I will be able to delegate those types of activities to nurse aides, but for now, it's my turn!

Best news of the week was that I passed my Dosage Calculations Exam...in fact,I made a 100! This test is extremely important as you must make a 90 or above and you only get 2 chances. We have to take it each semester but I am happy to say that I'm done with it until next fall.

I have been spending most of the weekend preparing for our Medication Administration Performance Evaluation. Friday night, about 8 of us got together at my house and practiced and when they are not around, Jason gets to hear it! Next Tuesday, I will meet with my Skills instructor and show her all 50 (yes, 50!!) steps in giving a patient either an intramuscular or subcutaneous injection. We have to show her all of the proper injection sites, as well as how to draw up cetain medications. It's another one of those do or die type evaluations but I'm glad I have had several days to perfect my skills. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

Hope everyone had a Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

Leilanni said...

Awww . . .you're all grown up and stuff! :-) Leo looks like he's being a very good patient - did he get a treat???

Anonymous said...

Well done Mary! You certainly are getting great marks....and ALL so well deserved cos of all the hard work you are putting in. You must be really chuffed with yourself....and you should be! The pics remind me of ones taken in 1996(I think) when we were over and you had a summer job in a medical centre and had to wear "scrubs". You are looking really well on all the hard work. keep up the interesting updates. I really enjoy reading them. Love to you both
Margaret

Anonymous said...

You suit the uniform Mary!!!! You look very professional. xx
Elaine