Thursday, February 28, 2008

And the work is piling up...

I'm back! Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back on here and give you an update. Last week started off good as I got the opportunity to discontinue and remove a foley catheter from a patient. Removing them is quite easy...first you drain the bag (you know what's in it!) and disconnect it. Then you deflate the balloon that's inside the person which is what holds the catheter in (it's deflated by sucking out the air with a syringe) and then slowly pull out the catheter(take a deep breath in!) and finally, clean the area and teach the patient to let the nurse know when they need to go to the bathroom next. My instructor came to observe my skills and she said I did "fine." (she's not one to overly praise). In April, we'll learn how to insert foleys. It was fun getting to do my first sort-of nursing skill!!

I had my medication evaluation last tuesday and made a 90! That was so not fun...I went into a mock hospital room with an instructor and began my evaluation. The instructor was so stoic, she didn't nod in agreement or disagreement so I had no idea how I was doing. Because it was so intimidating, my brain turned to mush at first but I quickly bounced back and did fine.

That's pretty much all I remember from last week. Sometimes the days are a bit blurry because I am just drenched in new information. I do remember that I actually got to have a relatively quiet weekend as far as studying goes...nothing major this week on the test/evaluation front.

So, now on to this week. Monday was not good. During clinicals, we have to complete a Nursing Care Plan on Monday or Wednesday and turn it in for a grade. My goal was to do mine on Mondays so that I could focus on more skills on Wednesdays. Well, it just wasn't happening on Monday. I got nothing accomplished and didn't feel like I had learned squat. It left me feeling so frustrated! Wednesday turned out to be a better day for a care plan anyway but boy was I rushed to get it all done! Like I said, no major grades or tests this week so that was nice.

In Skills Lab, we've learned how to insert nasogastric tubes (that's right, in your nose and on down to your stomach!). We also discussed suctioning and let me admit, suctioning sputum out of a trach does not sound as much fun to me as discontinuing a foley catheter!

Next week I have 2 tests on Tuesday! Yikes! I bet you can guess what I'll be doing this weekend...

That's all for now. Have a good weekend and Happy Birthday to my mother-in-law, Darlene!

No comments: