Friday, April 4, 2008

1 month to go!

Well, Spring Break is long gone and I am back into the nitty gritty school work...BUT only one month left to go! It's been a busy couple of weeks at school. I have gotten to give another insulin injection which went very well. I also am now clear to check blood sugar levels (finger sticks) without my instructor's observations. It's kind of like my first truly independent nursing skill...not that it's exactly rocket science but it does make me feel like they trust me with something! I've been doing vital signs and physical assessments since we started but that's not nearly as much fun as seeing blood!:)

The grades are still satisfactory but there's a lot left to happen in this last month that could make or break me. Right now, I am busy studying for another Theory test and Foley catheter evaluation. Inserting a Foley catheter isn't really that hard but it's a sterile procedure so you have to be especially careful not to break the sterile field and because I am so new to all of this, it's pretty easy to break it! Our clinical instructor, Ms. Barnett, is the one evaluating us on this (yep, she's the real intimidating one) so needless to say, I will be practicing all weekend. If you're curiously wondering how exactly I can practice such a procedure, we use the Skills Lab and mannequins during school hours and then at home, I usually just practice the sterile technique part. Don't worry, Jason can relax! haha! :)

Although I will be very relieved when I know that I have survived my first semester of nursing school, I will miss spending so much time with my clinical group. Jason calls us a "sorority." They have helped me learn so much and I always look forward to our next silly discussion. There's no guarantee that we will be together in future semesters but I know we will be checking on each other's progress. Being part of such a close-knit group has definitely been one of the most pleasant surprises of nursing school...it makes you feel like you're not alone in this craziness!

Anyways, I also plan to start taking some more pictures so I will post them for your viewing pleasure. Back to studying...please pray for endurance as I push through this last month of the semester.

Have a good weekend and Sunday is Leo's 1st Birthday!!

2 comments:

Cari said...

I sure have missed you MG! Good luck in studying! Call me sometime! XO!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the studying....and all the assessments. We all have faith in you!!!
Looking forward to the photos when you have a spare minute to get them on!
margaret... and all